Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oh Captain, my Captain!




I saw Robin Williams live. I can die now. Seriously, as far as I'm concerned, he's the funniest man alive. In an age when you say "comedy" and people think Will Ferrell or Ben Stiller, Mr. Williams is the one guarantee of good laughs. He started with a "Good night everybody. It's great to be in a place that's weird!" -- and he's from San Francisco, mind you. Of course, that was his lightest take on Austin for the night (not to mention his jokes about Texas as a whole).

In case you missed it, here are some pearls from the show, also printed in the program:

"Global warming is Mother Nature having hot flashes."

"The Chinese make everything -- even the 'Free Tibet' stickers."

"Bill Clinton found the only Jewish girl who couldn't get a stain out."

"If you believe in Creationism, look at the platypus. There must've been an open bar in heaven."

My favorite joke from the show went more or less like this:

"Now in the Vatican, when the Cardinals choose the new Pope, they go inside their little house and smoke comes out of the chimney. You can't help but wonder, 'what are they doing in there?' [Robin Williams mimics pot smoking] 'Hey man, I got an idea, hear me out, it's really funny. The last Pope was Polish, right? Let's have a--'"

If you can guess how that ends, great. If not, it doesn't matter. But you should probably read more.

[Here's a small video preview for you]


With a big hug to Burkard, Kirsten, Richard, Anna, Goez and all my German friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment